City Hall/Utilities FAQ

1. Where is Town Hall Located?
Our office is located at 502 W Lee Ave, Summerdale, AL  36580
2. When are utility bills due?
They are due upon receipt and are late if paid after the 10th. Please see the Utilities Page for further information.
3. When and where does the town council meet?
The Town Council meets the 2nd Monday of each month at 6:00 pm (Workshop is the Tuesday prior to Council Meeting at 6:00 pm) at the Summerdale Municipal Complex.  (Meeting dates and times may vary during the year due to holidays and other conflicts.)
4. How do I get something on the agenda of the town council for discussion?
You can contact the Town Clerk or the Mayor to request an item be placed on the Agenda.
5. Where do I get a building permit?
You must acquire a building permit from Town Hall at 502 W Lee Ave, Summerdale, AL  36580.

Municipal Court FAQ

1. Can someone else come and pay a ticket for me?
No, the magistrate must witness your signature on the Waiver of Rights on the back of the citation.
2. Can I drop a warrant?
Once a warrant has been signed and issued, it cannot be dropped for any reason.  Everyone must appear in court to settle the matter.
3. Do I need to bring money to court?
At court, you will be expected to pay for all fines and court cost assessed by the judge.
4. Can I pay a no proof of insurance ticket before court?
No, you have to attend court for all no proof of insurance citations and any other accompanying citations have to come to court.  If you have proof of insurance you may present it to the Judge at court.
5. What can I do if there is a warrant for my arrest?
In order to take care of an outstanding warrant, you must turn yourself in to the Summerdale Police Department.  After the warrant has been processed, you will be given an opportunity to post a bond and you will be given a court date.  For further information contact the Summerdale Municipal Court at (251) 989-6202.
6. What will the exact amount of my fines be at court?
The municipal Judge will establish the amount of the fine for each offense at court.  Depending on the charge, the Judge may place a maximum fine of $500 plus court cost.  There are some charges that the Judge can charge a much higher fine.

Police Department FAQ

1. What is the speed limit on county roads?
Any county-maintained paved road in an unincorporated area of the state has a speed limit of 45 miles per hour unless a different maximum speed is established under authority granted.  If a different maximum speed is granted that speed will be posted.
2. What is Summerdale’s dog complaint ordinance?
Under #152-96, Section 3-3, Running at Large, “No person owning or having charge or custody of any dog shall permit the same to go at large nor shall such dog be permitted upon the streets or public ways. Every person owning or having charge or custody of any dog shall at all times keep such dog confined to the premises of such owner or keeper and shall keep such premises in a clean and sanitary manner to meet the approval of the town, county, and state health departments. Nothing in this section shall prevent the owner of any dog, or other person having such dog in his charge or custody, from allowing such dog to accompany such owner or other person,elsewhere than on the premises on which such dog is regularly kept,provided such dog is on leash or under complete and effective control. Section 3-4, Impounding of Dogs Running at Large, “Any dog allowed to run at large (not being on a leash or subject to full control by owner or keeper) may be taken up and delivered to the Baldwin County Animal Shelter Section 1-7, (a), Noise, It shall be unlawful for the owner or other person in charge of any dog to suffer or permit the loud and frequent or continued barking, howling, or yelping of such dog, as to annoy and disturb any person or neighborhood.  (b), No person shall keep any other animal or fowl which shall disturb the comfort or rest of any person in the vicinity with frequent or long-continued noises. This ordinance also covers other animals that: Section 2-1, (a), Prohibited, “It shall be unlawful for any hog, sheep, goat, bull, horse, calf, cow or other domestic animal, exclusive of cats, of like kind to run at large. (b), It shall be unlawful for any person to allow any fowl, chickens, guineas, turkeys, homing pigeons, rea, ostrich, or peacocks to run at large. For more on this ordinance, contact Town Hall at (251) 989-6202 or the Police Department at (251) 989-7777.
3. What is Summerdale’s Junk Car Ordinance?
It shall be unlawful to keep, store, deposit, or place in the open, public or private property a dismantled, unserviceable, junked, or abandoned vehicle.  If an officer puts an orange sticker on an out of compliance vehicle, the vehicle will need to be moved within 30 days or owner will be summonsed to court and could be fined. For more on this ordinance, contact Town Hall at (251) 989-6202 or the Police Department at (251) 989-7777.
4. What is Summerdale’s Tall Grass or Weeds Ordinance?
Section 2, “Every person owning or having in charge any premises in the City of Summerdale, or its police jurisdiction, shall keep the same free of any growth of weeds favorable to the harboring of mosquitoes or other insects of like kind, and every such growth of weeds is hereby declared to be a nuisance. Section 3, Any growth of weeds more than one foot in height shall be deemed favorable to the harboring of mosquitoes or insects of like kind. For more on this ordinance, contact Town Hall at (251) 989-6202 or the Police Department at (251) 989-7777.

Revenue Department FAQ

1. Who has to purchase a business license?
Any person or organization conducting business in the corporate limits is required to purchase a license. This includes offering merchandise for sale, performing services and soliciting orders for goods or services, making deliveries of any merchandise or engaging in business of any nature. The license must be obtained before transacting any business. Licenses are based on a calendar year: January 1st – December 31st. All Business Licenses expire December 31st of each year, regardless of the date purchased.
2. Does this include a business operated out of my home?
Yes, it includes any business. Home-operated businesses must meet zoning requirements and must have the approval of the Town of Summerdale Board of Adjustments to operate a home occupation.
3. How much does the Town of Summerdale business license cost?
The cost varies depending upon the type of business. Businesses are classified into categories and each category has a rate that is used to calculate the amount of the license. Most licenses are based on annual gross receipts.